DSM Special Events and Announcements Media Contact:
DSM High School Musical Theatre Awards Contact:
Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theatre Awards Launches for the 2011 – 2012 School Year
All Dallas Metropolitan Area High Schools Encouraged to Participate!
This is a national program, with over 30 cities participating.
- Based on Broadway’s Tony Awards®, the DSM High School Musical Theatre Awards are designed to recognize and reward excellence in the production of high school musical theatre in 15 categories. See # 5 below.
- All Dallas metropolitan area high schools (private and public) are invited to participate. Fort Worth has their “Betty Buckley” Awards, and we do not want to compete with them, so no TarrantCounty. Eligible school districts include Collin County, DentonCounty, KaufmanCounty, EllisCounty, Rockwall County, Highland Park ISD.
- Each school can register for 1 musical to be judged. If they want to submit another one, the fee is $300. (Kansas City does that, as well.)
- Link to the national web site: http://www.nhsmta.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions
- Three judges will visit each school and judge the performers in 15 categories:
Best Musical, Best Direction, Best Musical Direction, Best Choreography, Best Orchestra, Best Scenic Design, Best Costume Design, Best Lighting, Best Ensemble, Best Crew, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Featured Performer.
- The top eight finalists in each category will be announced.
- DSM will be awarding scholarships of not less than $1,000 to a number of deserving students.
- Deadline for registration is September 30, 2011.
- Ballots are submitted to the accounting firm of Grant-Thornton and announced the night of the awards ceremony.
- Awards Ceremony: Spring 2012: Top eight schools will perform a production number from their show. It will be at the Music Hall at Fair Park.
- Winners of the Best Performance by an Actor and Actress will receive an all expenses paid trip for five days to New York City to represent their school in the National High School Musical Theatre Awards (the Jimmy Nederlander Award) for the chance to win up to a full four year scholarship to the NYU Tisch School of Drama, valued at up to $100,000.